Mission & Vision
Updated for the 2017-2018 school year–TCIS Mission & Vision
As part of the ongoing committment to review and excellence, TCIS has updated its school mission statement and defined essential understandings for the community. Not satisfied to merely provide adequate education, TCIS is always looking at how to implement best practice in education and provide for student needs for preparedness in today's world. This is not a departure from TCIS traditions or values, but a refining of our values.
TCIS Educational Framework
The TCIS Educational Framework is a system of statements and definitions by which we operate and measure our success as an educational institution. It defines how we educate and evaluate students, as well as how we invest in and evaluate our faculty. These statements allow those who visit our community to see who we are and what we stand for.
Not only for visitors, however, our educational framework allows us to keep focus on who we are in our core. More than just an abstract philosophy, we use it as an operating structure to guide our work within the classroom and to create policies and programs.
TCIS Mission Statement
TCIS strives to cultivate internationally minded learners who lead in purposeful change.
Learn • Love • Lead
Definition of Learning
Learning is the process of developing and growing oneself through the search for truth.
- Thinking/Taking Action
Learners deepen their understanding when they apply their learning to authentic situations by:
- developing research and thinking skills
- inquiring into concepts and ideas
- solving complex problems and issues
- reflecting and giving thoughtful consideration to their own learning and experiences.
- Future Ready
Learners prepare for a future of collaboration and communication by:
- communicating creatively and confidently in a variety of ways
- evaluating information
- realizing the need for interdependence
- empathizing with other perspectives
- engaging in experiential learning and outreach
Learners build character to determine who they are today and tomorrow by:
- acting with integrity, fairness, and justice and by respecting the dignity and rights of others
- taking personal responsibility for actions and consequences
- cultivating a culture of respect and understanding
- developing resilience and perseverance when facing challenges and/or setback
- serving others through acts of compassion.
- Whole Person
Learners pursue wholeness and balance in all aspects of their lives by:
- maturing intellectually
- growing spiritually through exploring God and personal faith
- nurturing emotional health
- maintaining physical well-being
- cultivating social relationships
- encouraging stewardship of resources.
Definition of Leadership
Leadership is envisioning change and acting as the catalyst for principled endeavors. Leaders inspire the community to model integrity and servanthood, taking strategic action to generate purposeful change.
- Thinking/Taking Action
Leaders transfer knowledge and understanding to take action towards purposeful change in the community.
- Leaders continue to grow in competency in order to assist with creating vision.
- Leaders are self-directed and undertake independent action that motivates self and others.
- Leaders understand that change is a process and not an event.
- Future Ready
Leaders value diversity and create passionate synergy on the vision.
- Leaders express their ideas via multiple formats and forums.
- Leaders listen and collaborate.
- Leaders grow other leaders.
Leaders are others-focused and demonstrate courage, forthrightness, and perseverance.
- Leaders advocate on behalf of others to increase awareness, empathy, and understanding.
- Leaders generate positive change in their communities.
- Leaders serve others and the environment. (Christ-like actions)
- Whole Person
Leaders understand that situations require different styles of leadership to ensure productive and sustainable change.
- Leaders adapt their leadership to the community’s ever evolving needs.
- Leaders are lifelong learners.
- Leaders expect Christ-like actions from themselves and others.
IB Learner Profile
As an IB World School, we subscribe to the IB learner profile that defines the traits of a student that has been successfully educated:
We nurture our curiosity, developing skills for inquiry and research. We know how to learn independently and with others. We learn with enthusiasm and sustain our love of learning throughout life.
We develop and use conceptual understanding, exploring knowledge across a range of disciplines. We engage with issues and ideas that have local and global significance.
We use critical and creative thinking skills to analyse and take responsible action on complex problems. We exercise initiative in making reasoned, ethical decisions.
We act with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness and justice, and with respect for the dignity and rights of people everywhere. We take responsibility for our actions and their consequences.
We approach uncertainty with forethought and determination; we work independently and cooperatively to explore new ideas and innovative strategies. We are resourceful and resilient in the face of challenges and change.
We express ourselves confidently and creatively in more than one language and in many ways. We collaborate effectively, listening carefully to the perspectives of other individuals and groups.
We critically appreciate our own cultures and personal histories, as well as the values and traditions of others. We seek and evaluate a range of points of view, and we are willing to grow from the experience.
We show empathy, compassion and respect. We have a commitment to service, and we act to make a positive difference in the lives of others and in the world around us.
We understand the importance of balancing different aspects of our lives—intellectual, physical, and emotional—to achieve well-being for ourselves and others. We recognize our interdependence with other people and with the world in which we live.
We thoughtfully consider the world and our own ideas and experience. We work to understand our strengths and weaknesses in order to support our learning and personal development.