English HL, Mandarin HL, SL, and ab initio, and Spanish HL, SL, and ab initio
This subject consists of three language courses accommodating the different levels of linguistic proficiency that students have when they begin. There is a single set of Language Acquisition aims, which are common to all the courses, but the assessment objectives are differentiated according to what the students are expected to be to able to demonstrate at the end of each course.
The aims of Language Acquisition courses are to:
- Develop students’ intercultural understanding
- Enable students to understand and use the language they have studied in a range of contexts and for a variety of purposes
- Encourage, through the study of texts and through social interaction, an awareness and appreciation of the different perspectives of people from other cultures
- Develop students’ awareness of the role of language in relation to other areas of knowledge
- Develop students’ awareness of the relationship between the languages and cultures with which they are familiar
- Provide students with a basis for further study, work and leisure through the use of an additional language
- Provide the opportunity for enjoyment, creativity and intellectual stimulation through knowledge of an additional language.