Last week, our Grades 9-10 students embarked on a transformative Leadership Retreat at TCIS, embodying the essence of our school motto: Learn • Love • Lead.
Led by our Head of School and faculty, students received keynote lecture, and engaged in breakout sessions and workshops to get both practical advice and opportunities for hands-on practice. Anedoctal sharing and activities followed ten key principles:
- FIND YOUR VOICE by clarifying your personal values.
- SET THE EXAMPLE by aligning actions with shared values
- ENVISION THE FUTURE by imagining exciting and ennobling possibilities.
- ENLIST OTHERS in a common vision by appealing to shared aspirations.
- SEARCH FOR OPPORTUNITIES by seeking innovative ways to change, grow, and improve.
- EXPERIMENT AND TAKE RISKS by constantly generating small wins and learning from mistakes.
- FOSTER COLLABORATION by promoting cooperative goals and building trust.
- STRENGTHEN OTHERS by sharing power and discretion.
- RECOGNIZE CONTRIBUTIONS by showing appreciation for individual excellence.
- CELEBRATE THE VALUES AND VICTORIES by creating a spirit of community.
Students also had the opportunity to attend a special optional weekend extension on the retreat to focus on Christian and spiritual leadership – sharing ways to combine values of faith with effective leadership as a person of faith.
The retreat honed leadership skills and nurtured a spirit of community and collective growth. Kudos to our young leaders for embracing the journey and to the mentor leaders who shared! This is another formative step for our students as they prepare to change the world!